Frequently Asked Questions

Academic requirements

  • A Master’s degree, or equivalent of at least 240 ECTS in Social, Economic or Political Sciences, Business, Law and/or Contemporary History. If your degree is not within these disciplines, relevant work experience in these or related fields may qualify.
  • Excellent study results for both prior degrees of 70% (2nd class honours upper division, Belgian equivalent; upper 2:1 UK equivalent, 2.8/4 GPA).

Language requirements
The Programme’s language of instruction is English. As a starting point, every student who applies must provide recent (within two years) certified proof of proficiency in English, by means of one of the 5 tests with the required minimum level or score indicated below:

  • TOEFL test [min. score 233 (computer-based) min. score 90 (internet-based) min.score 577 (paper-based)]
  • Academic IELTS: 7.0
  • Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English – CPE
  • Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English – CAE (grade B)
  • ITACE (at the VUB) – C1

If English is the candidate’s mother tongue or if the candidate has obtained a previous degree of at least 60 ECTS entirely taught in English, he or she will be waived from having to produce recent certified proof of proficiency in English. In the case of the previous degree, please include in your application a document issued by the university proving that all courses were taught in English. We also reserve the right to assess the level of language skills separately in unclear cases.